Technical Description & Self- Reflection

October 30, 2018

Electrical Toothbrush

Contents
1.     Background information
2.     Components
3.     Benefits
4.     Reference

1. Background information

The function of a toothbrush is to scrub teeth with toothpaste. The toothbrush isused to clean the teeth, gums, and tongue which overall helps oral hygiene. As early as 3500 BCE, there were tool that resembled a toothbrush. People used chew sticks, tree twigs, bird feathers, animal bones and porcupine quills as a toothbrush. As time moved on, in 1780, William Addis was the first man to first mass produce the toothbrush in England and later mass produced in the United States of America.
The first person to advertise the first electric toothbrush was in 1880 by Dr. Scott an English doctor. However, this was the only issue being used with no electricity. An electric toothbrushmakes rapid automatic bristle motions with clockwise and counterclockwise rotations with the end goal to have cleaner teeth. About 50 years later, Switzerland was the country in which the first real electric toothbrush came about by Dr. Woong. However, it was not as successful as to be thought to be because it was ineffective. The initial use of the electronic toothbrush was for patients with limited motor skills and for orthodontic patients such as those wearing braces.

Oral-B is a brand of oral hygiene products. Toothbrushes, toothpastes, electric toothbrushes, mouthwashes and dental flossare some of Oral B’s oral hygiene products. For the brand Oral B, in 1938, Dr. Robert W. Hutson invented a soft nylon bristled toothbrush. It is known that Oral B is short for Oral Brush. His first product was called the “Oral-B 60”, because it had 60 bunches.

2. Components

(figure 1)

The Oral B electric brush has 3 principle parts. As you dismantle the electric tooth brush, the primary thing you see is the removable brush. This segment does all the diligent work. According to Chris Woodford, this part has a semi-rotating head at the best along these lines, as the system inside the brush handle pivots forward and backward the brush turns from side to side. The removable brush measures 3-1/2 inches long and its width is 3/4 inches. After that, there is a sub-unit which is called the bristles. The bristles do the cleaning of the teeth while it turns. The bristles are the delicate, plastic strands that really interact with the teeth and gums. Underneath the brush there’s a cam and gear unit. The cam and gears unit are the smart piece of an electric brush. It changes over the rapid turning movement of the brush’s electric engine into forward and backward brushing movement that cleans your teeth all the more viably.

After that you see an inner plastic case with a 1-inch diameter. The inner plastic case included a gear, rechargeable battery, a circuit and a motor. After the cam and gears unit, you go to the gear section, which is connected to a cam and gears unit. The gear is built into the top of the motor, so the motor drives it directly. The motor for the Oral-B electric toothbrush can deliver up to 48,800 movements per minute, while a regular manual toothbrush can deliver 300 to 600 movements per minute. The motor is then connected to the rechargeable battery. The batteries have two line attached to the terminals. One of the terminals is positive and one is negative. The next component you see is an electric circuit board which its function is to controls the on/off switch on the outer case. According to Chris Woodford, “The basic idea of an electric motor is really simple: you put electricity into it at one end and an axle (metal rod) rotates at the other end giving you the power to drive a machine of some kind”.
The external most layer is known as the outer case. It is made of intense plastic and the on-off switch is set into it in a bit of thin, exceptionally adaptable rubber. The reason for the external case is to ward off water and toothpaste from the circuit, engine, and battery. Those segments are vital to keep dry since they would rapidly rust on the off chance that you got them wet.

3. Benefits
There are many benefits of using an electric toothbrush than a manual toothbrush. Electric toothbrushes diminish more plaque and gum disease than manual toothbrushes. An electrical toothbrush should increase in general oral wellbeing. Despite the fact that it might be costlier than a manual toothbrush, it is a decent investment for your cash. Both electric and manual toothbrushes have a function at cleaning teeth. However, an electric toothbrush has better plaque removal.

According to the Oral- B website, “Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes offer a varying number of modes, so you can choose your preferred way to get a thorough clean.
Daily Clean: Provides a superior clean vs. a regular manual toothbrush
Deep Clean: Extends brushing time to enhance results
Sensitive: Operates at a lower speed for a gentle clean
Massage: Designed to gently massage and stimulate gums
Whitening: Alternates speed to polish away stains
Tongue Cleaning: Thoroughly cleans tongue for fresher breath”
This benefits the user since they get the option to choose which mode they prefer. Electric toothbrushes are the better option than manual toothbrushes.

4. Reference

Love, Jon, and Jon LoveJust. “History of Oral-B.” Electric Teeth, 18 June 2018, www.electricteeth.co.uk/history-oral-b/.

Love, Jon. “The History of The Electric Toothbrush.” Electric Teeth, 20 Aug. 2018, www.electricteeth.co.uk/the-history-of-the-electric-toothbrush/.

“The Benefits of Electric vs. Manual Toothbrushes.” Oral-B, oralb.com/en-us/oral-health/why-oral-b/electric-toothbrushes/benefits-of-electric-toothbrush.

Woodford, Chris. “How Do Electric Toothbrushes Work?” Explain That Stuff, 6 Apr. 2018, www.explainthatstuff.com/electrictoothbrush.html.

November 6, 2018

Technical Description Self – Reflection

For the Technical Description assignment, it was necessary to choose an item that had a technological component to it. The item you choose should not be complicated since you have to give details on the components and sub-components. While completing this assignment I practiced using various library resources, online databases, and the internet to locate sources appropriate to my writing process. For the technical description assignment, it was necessary to support your claims. For your claim to be valid, it needs evidence to back that claim up. I needed to find multiple sources to talk about the electric toothbrush. I needed to find background information to discuss how the electric toothbrush was made and how it came to be. When I was trying to find my sources, that part was easy. However, determining which sources was viable was the hard part. I know website that end with .org, .gov or .net are all credible. The websites that end with .com may be credible or not credible, it depends on the context, the person who wrote it, and if they used sources as well. Since I was explaining the Oral-B toothbrush, some of my resources was from the Oral-B website to have a strong point. When you use the website from the brand you will discuss, it strengthens the evidence.

I owned an electric toothbrush before, so I knew how to use it and I knew the components that went with the toothbrush. Describing the toothbrush wasn’t the hard part for me, the hard part for me was the flowing of the sentences. This is where the strengthening of my evaluating, integrating, quoting, paraphrasing, summarizing, synthesizing, analyzing, and citing sources course learning outcome strengthened. I quoted the evidence I used from outside sources. In addition, I summarized and paraphrased my history component since that was all based on evidence from online. I analyzed the technological item, toothbrush which strengthen my overall essay.